Confusion: AMTS and MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam)
- How old are you?
- What time is it? (to the nearest hour)
- What Year is it?
- Where are we?
- I want you to remember this address: 42 West Register Street. Ask to recall later on in test.
- Do you know who I am? Do you know who that is [point to nurse / family member]?
- Do you know who the Prime Minister / President is?
- What is your date of birth?
- Can you tell me when the second world war ended / the first moon landing was / other memorable date
- Can you count down from 20 to 1?
MMSE – Mini-Mental State Examination
- Orientation to time
- Orientation to Place
- Attention and Calculation
- Following complex commands
- ≥25 – Normal
- 21 – 24 – mild impairment
- 10 – 20 – moderate impairment
- <10 – severe impairment
The MMSE is copyrighted, and thus unfortunately, we are not able to provide it for you here. This has been a contentious issue, as the test was widely used freely for many years before the copyright holder began to exert their rights and charge for the test's use. Thus the test became wdiespread as a free test, but now service providers must pay around £0.80 for each and every use. It is likely that a free alternative to the test will be developed in the coming years. You can read more about this in the BMJ.