- Death rate is 10%(higher in children under 5 and adults over 40).
- Immunity (natural/vaccine-induced) does not prevent carriage.
- Up to 5% healthy population in endemic areas test positive from pharyngeal cultures.
- Largely been eradicated in the developed countries through vaccination programmes.
- inflammation of tissues
- Bacteria secrete exotoxin which interferes with cell protein synthesis(àtissue necrosis) and call interfere with local neurological supply of palate and hypopharynx(àparalysis)
- build-up of inflammatory cells, necrotic epithelial cells, and bacteria debrisà form the characteristic adherent gray/black, tough, fiber-like covering( pseudomembrane).
- Inflammation, pseudomembrane formation and paralysis can combine to result in Airway obstruction
- systemic spread of the toxin in the bloodstream can injure the kidneys, heart, and brain.
[image from Illnois Department of Public Health, courtesy of US Centers for Disease Prevention and Control]